Welcome to Ricafrica!
- Welcome to Ricafrica.com, founded by Kim Mbayiwa to bridge symbiotic connections between Africa and the rest of the world.
- Ricafrica provides enriching experiences of Africa to anyone, anywhere through our curated collection of accessories that are made in Africa and through our community of Africa enthusiasts.
- In all that we do, we strive to ensure that the African continent benefits fully from its contributions to the world and that our community is enriched every time they encounter anything Ricafrica.
- Ubuntu is an African philosophy that asserts that we exist because of each other, that is,our existence is intertwined. It is often interpreted to be, “I am because you are”. This community oriented view means that Ricafrica welcomes both strangers to and members of the African community and treats all with a sincere warmth. We believe that everyone can celebrate and benefit from African creativity in ethical, sustainable and respectful ways.
- We strive to build trust from creatives to buyers and between all those in our community so that we can all believe in and have confidence in the integrity, reliability and fairness of each other. We are creating a safe space to celebrate African culture and history.
- We embrace and promote authenticity as we bridge connections that go beyond borders. Our products are authentic, our experiences are authentic and we invite you to bring your fully authentic self to Ricafrica experiences. We are all things African and all things you!
Letter from the founder
- Hello Beautiful People,
- Welcome to Ricafrica, my passion project that I hope will create enriching connections between my homeland, Africa, and people all over the world.
- I was born and raised in Zimbabwe and have had the wonderful privilege of traveling across Africa. My love for the continent goes as far back as I can remember, however, my desire to bridge symbiotic connections between the continent and people around the world was inspired by the increasing recognition of the value, influence and impact of African culture and creativity that is currently underway, globally. It helped me recognize the glaring opportunity to create valuable connections to the motherland so that celebrating Africa doesn’t become just a trend, it becomes a staple in the global community.
- One of the ways Ricafrica is bridging connections is through our online African market. We have curated a collection of unique African accessories that we hope will help you express your true self and your love for continent. Together with the African creatives who made the pieces in our collection, I invite you to join in the celebration of Africa, through the beautiful pieces they have made.
- Ricafrica also includes other initiatives to build community and provide opportunities for people around the world to participate in African inspired experience as well as cultural immersions. To stay up to date on our initiatives be sure to subscribe to our mailing list.
- Much love,
- Ricafrica was a a semi-finalist for the University of Chicago’s Polsky Center Alumni New Venture Challenge, a finalist for the South Side Pitch and is a National Science Foundation designee.